Pages

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Lame Pregnant People

And now for a rant.

Pregnant people can be so damn annoying.

Last weekend I went out to dinner for one of my girlfriend's birthdays. She's single, and most of the other ladies out were single or dating. The only other married chick is also a friend of mine, and she's also pregnant.

OK, she's hugely pregnant. She was 39 weeks at the dinner. In fact, she may be giving birth to her son as I write the post. Even as I bitch, I do hope all is going well.

But damn, she was obnoxious at the dinner. It was New Year's Day, and at one point the topic was post-hangover remedies. She pipes in that she spent the morning scrubbing her stovetop after her husband cooked her an omlette. "Totally nesting," she said, to awkward laughter from the other women. And then she tried to drag me into the lameness, telling me that I will start wanting to clean places of the house I never knew about.

Um, how could anyone think that this would be a good conversation topic, given the audience, or given any audience?

And I think nesting is totally a fake idea created by lame pregnant people. I know where my stovetop is. If my husband cooked me an omlette and made a mess, I would offer to clean it, pregnant or not. And before any sort of guest arrives, people "nest," cleaning the house, buying what's needed . . . yes, there's more to do for a baby, but let's not be cutesy and cringe-worthy, people.

Other topics she interjected included sleep discomfort and breastfeeding vs. bottle feeding. Granted these things are on her mind, but girlfriend, save it for a different audience (preferably one that doesn't include me).

1 comment: